Opus’ geotechnical team is one of the largest and most established consultancies in NZ
We have an excellent reputation for technical distinction and have completed many high profile and award winning projects across New Zealand.
Our geotechnical team employs a rich blend of engineers and geologists with a deep pool of knowledge and experience. We work alongside our clients to break down the barriers of communication and understanding often faced when dealing with the irregularities of the geological environment.
We tackle small and large scale projects to produce cost effective, sustainable and appropriate solutions. Our services are provided nationally through out network of regional and local offices along with an exceptional global knowledge bank we can call on.
Our multi-disciplinary in-house resources mean we are well placed to provide any geotechnical or engineering geology solution. Our past and current clients have included central and local government, commercial clients, developers, contractors, private clients and other consultants.
Our experience in New Zealand
Our geotechnical services are extensive and include:
- Aerial photography
- Building seismic retrofit
- Construction supervision
- Contaminated land assessment
- Design of spread and piled foundations
- Earthquake damage and economic loss assessments
- Expert witness
- Geological mapping
- Geotechnical laboratory testing services
- Geographic Information Services (GIS) Ground improvement design
- Infrastructure resilience and hazard assessment
- Land use development and management
- Pile Testing (PDA) Services
- Retaining wall design
- Seismic and liquefaction assessment
- Site investigation planning, management and supervision
Award winning geotechnical work
Many of our geotechnical team are distinguished staff who are internationally recognised in their field of expertise.
Our geotechnical work has been recognised with the following awards:
- NZTA GEM Awards – Highly Commended, Excellent Customer Care during an event or incident - Alexandra Geotechnical Rapid Response Team (2013)
- Ingenium Excellence Award for Public Infrastructure, cost greater than $10m – SH1 Caversham Highway Improvements Stage 1, Dunedin (2013)
- Freyssinet Award – Pathmanathan Brabhaharan, Supreme Technical Award for Engineering Achievers (2013)
- ACENZ Merit Award - Transmission Gully Geotechnical and Scheme Assessment (2010)
- ACENZ Merit Award - West Wind, Wind Farm at Makara near Wellington (2010)
- INGENIUM Hynds Paper of the Year Award - Kawakawa Bay Landslip Remediation (2010)
- New Zealand Engineering Excellence Award - Building and Construction, Gisborne Police Station (2009)
- ACENZ Silver Award of Excellence for Innovative Foundation System Design for the Gisborne Police Station (2009)