St Andrews

Seismic strengthening for a special building

The Opus team conducted the strengthening and refurbishment of St Andrew's.

St Andrews Church in Wellington was constructed in 1922 and is registered as a Category 1 building on the New Zealand Historic Places Register. Various Opus disciplines worked closely together to sensitively refurbish and earthquake strengthen the building.

The original ornate detailing on the exterior was carefully retained and refurbished, the roof was completely replaced and structural bracing was installed. The interior was in poor
condition with water damage so was meticulously repaired and restored to return the Church to its former glory. 

This project was successfully delivered on time, to budget and to an extremely high quality, despite it being highly complex. Careful negotiation and relationship management was required with the surrounding building owners especially as construction was also underway on these sites.